By B. Siertsema
If Phonetics is a relatively fresh topic for ecu scholars of overseas languages and is eyed by way of them with a few sus picion as an invention that's intended to make their stories tough, it really is much more so with English Phonetics for African scholars. haven't Africans been studying English for over a century, and with stable ends up in many situations, with no giving a suggestion to its phonetics? Why introduce this new topic and upload to the variety of books they need to learn and the variety of examinations they must cross prior to they could get their measure? but if the examine of a overseas language is to be modern its phonetics can't be missed; to the contrary, it really is as vital because the research of its spelling, if no more so. With the discovery of radio and cellphone, of gramophone and tape-recorders, the significance of the spoken observe has elevated immensely and it's way more crucial now than it used to be 100 years in the past that those that research a overseas language may still learn how to converse it effectively. therefore a brand new topic has been additional to the time table of language scholars and academics: the research and perform of the sounds of the language, and for the academics additionally the examine of ways to educate those sounds.
Read or Download A Test in Phonetics: 500 Questions and Answers on English Pronunciation and How to Teach it in West Africa PDF
Best west books
The vintage, gripping mountain climbing saga of the 1st ascent of Everest's West Ridge.
* naked bones epub scanned and OCRed
The point of interest of this e-book is the Alaska Marine street, which serves as a lifeline for lots of coastal communites in Alaska. This ferry procedure – a complete of 9 boats – hyperlinks tiny coastal communites and massive towns alike. It runs from Washington, up the interior Passage, all of the strategy to the Aleitians within the a long way north, a complete of 3,500 miles.
- 900 Miles on the Butterfield Trail
- The Two-Lane Gourmet. Fine Wine Trails, Superb Inns, and Exceptional Dining Through California,...
- One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey
- Wyoming Off the Beaten Path®. A Guide to Unique Places
- The Washakie Letters of Willie Ottogary: Northwestern Shoshone Journalist and Leader, 1906-1929
Additional resources for A Test in Phonetics: 500 Questions and Answers on English Pronunciation and How to Teach it in West Africa
G. She wrote to him regularly? Can this also be read in these two ways? XVII. ) 40 I. If neither the grammatical construction nor the tone 402. 403. 404. 405. 406. indi~ cates that an utterance is a question, what is usually the additional means of expression that still makes it clear? " Only one book is good, that red one. When do we stress one? "The girl was reading in the park. He looked at her and hesitated for a moment; then he took a bold decision. "" What mistakes do Africans make in the tone of the italicized words?
187. 188. 189. 190. 191. 192. 193. 194. 195. 196. 197. 198. 199. 200. 201. 202. 203. 204. 205. 28 Is her pronounced the same in: her book; her aunt? Do you know a name for the r in her aunt? Is this the same as "intrusive r"? Give an example of intrusive r. Can you explain why people use r as a link in such cases; why not p or m or another consonant? Can you give a rule as to when the letter r is pronounced? Define and describe the pronunciation of English initial r. Do we always hear the same rin row and in throw?
What are they called? Compare the pronunciation of the letter w in when and down. Can every vowel sometimes function as a consonant in English? Do you know one more vowel which can have a consonantal function? What are these sounds called? What sort of diphthong is [au] ? Do you know another of the same kind? Explain the term. B 466. Transcribe: After all, why should a child of three go out in this weather? 467. Define the vowels indicated by a in after and all. Explain the terms you use. 468. Compare the r's in after and weather; why do you transcribe the one in after only?