A better half to ladies within the historic global offers an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based choice of newly-commissioned essays from sought after students at the research of girls within the historic world.
• the 1st interdisciplinary, methodologically-based selection of readings to handle the examine of ladies within the historical global
• Explores a extensive diversity of issues on the subject of ladies in antiquity, together with: Mother-Goddess conception; girls in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the close to East; girls and the relatives, the country, and faith; gown and Adornment; lady Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial girls; ladies in overdue Antiquity; Early girls Saints; and lots of extra
• Thematically prepared to stress the significance of ancient subject matters of continuity, improvement, and innovation
• Reconsiders a lot of the well known proof and preconceived notions with regards to ladies in antiquity contains contributions from a number of the so much favorite students linked to the research of girls in antiquity
Selected through selection as a 2013 extraordinary educational Title
Awarded a 2013 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
Read or Download A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World, Volume 165) PDF
Similar women books
Marie Curie (1867-1934) used to be some of the most vital girl scientists in historical past, and she or he used to be probably the most influential scientistsâ€”man or womanâ€”of the 20 th century. Curie postulated that radiation was once an atomic estate, a discovery that has resulted in major clinical advancements due to the fact that. She used to be additionally the 1st individual to take advantage of the time period radioactivity.
Harriet Beecher Stowe grew up in a kinfolk the place the lads have been visible as resources and the women as second-class voters. the inability of strength for ladies within the 1800s fueled her outrage opposed to slavery, and he or she started to write non secular periodicals to help her kinfolk. This e-book explores his existence and profession.
In keeping with study carried out in a three-year, mixed-method, multi-site nationwide technological know-how origin, technological know-how, know-how, Engineering and arithmetic expertise growth application (STEP) venture, this e-book deals a entire inspect how engineering division tradition and weather affects the profitable retention of lady and under-represented minority students.
- She-Wolves: The Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth
- Women and The Glorious Quran: An Analytical Study of Women-Related Verses of Sura An-Nisa
- Sisters Rejoice. Paul's Letter to the Philippians and Luke-Acts as seen by First-Century Philippian Women
- Encyclopedia of Women in the Ancient World
Additional info for A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World, Volume 165)
Indeed, a patriarchal power structure sustained Mesopotamian civilization. Even so, women played vital roles in all levels of society. In addition to their domestic and reproductive functions as mothers, wives, and daughters, elite women contributed to the male-dominated spheres of the arts, economy, religion, and government. Information about ancient Mesopotamian women of diverse social classes survives in cuneiform documents (including legal, economic, labor, marriage, adoption, and temple records, as well as personal letters), visual art (especially friezes depicting ritual and votive sculptures), and archaeological contexts (such as intact burials).
Without attempting to answer such questions, which may well reflect post-classical rather than ancient categories and issues, the essays here study multiple forms of evidence and thus provide an exemplary opening for this volume’s interdisciplinary mission. Case Study I The Mother Goddess in Prehistory: Debates and Perspectives Lauren Talalay For over a century, archaeologists, mythographers, poets, psychoanalysts—and many others—have debated the existence and meaning of a so-called Mother Goddess in prehistory.
A further result of our editorial choices is that the focus here on methodology and approach, on problems with the evidence, means that this volume follows the ancient evidence. Since those materials overwhelmingly represent the citizen, even elite, classes and omit the large populations of lower-class citizens, slaves, and foreigners, the contributions here largely also focus on citizens and often on elite women. Even editorial Introduction 3 choices involve losses, and this is a loss we feel keenly: our decision to focus on genres of evidence means that we have had, for the most part, to overlook the great majority of women in antiquity, who are little represented in the ancient sources.